Working for America
State Workforce Investment Board
SC Department of Employment and Workforce
Abraham Turner, Deputy Executive Director Employment & Training
1550 Gadsden Street
PO Box 1406
Columbia, SC 29202
Key Workforce Priorities
- Policy Advocacy: Be the visionary and unified voice for workforce development in South Carolina.
- Integration and Consolidation: Implement integration strategies that optimize all workforce efforts and drive innovation and accountability.
- South Carolina's One Stop System: Build a consistent statewide delivery system that effectively meets the needs of employers in order to serve the people.
- Collaboration and Partnership: Increase collaboration and partnership with economic development allies, the education community, and business.
- Communications: Create effective two-way communications around visions, initiatives, and outcomes with internal and external stakeholders.
- Total nonagricultural employment increased by 12,600 from August 2009 to August 2010.
- Administration & Support Services (temporary agencies) industry posted a gain of 9,700 jobs from 2009 to 2010.
- Health Care & Social Assistance industry advanced by 5,200 jobs over the year (2009-2010).
- The unemployment rate peaked at 12.5% in January 2010, with the latest reports showing 11.0% in August.
- Looking at monthly labor force characteristics, unemployment rates are up across all race and gender categories as compared to year ago.
- Industry projections show the fastest growing industry, by percent change - 55.1% from 2008 to 2018, in South Carolina is Internet Service Provider (ISP), Search Portals & Data Processing . The second fastest growing industry is Ambulatory Health Care Services at 35.7%.
Local Workforce Investment Boards – find local Workforce Investment Boards in this state.
Local One-Stop Career Centers – find local Career Centers in this state.
Workforce Success Stories – find workforce success stories in this state.
Workforce Customer Testimonials – find first-hand quotes from customers in this state.